Sunday, March 12, 2006

April Fool

I've decided to run a 1/2 marathon on April 1st so I'm to training!

My upcoming 1/2 marathon goal is to break my official PR of 2:08:30 which I set at the Rock 'n' Roll 1/2 in Jan 05.

Temps reached 50 F which motivated me to get outside for a 7 miles loop run. I set my Garmin Forerunner watch to beep at every mile so that I could take a 25 second walk break. I've decided to use this "Galloway" training method again. I had gotten away from it as my milage increased for the marathon. It's actually hard for me to take a walk break when my mind doesn't think I need one.

As I completed my first mile, walk break for 25 second. Second miles completed, walk break for 25 seconds. 3rd mile completed, 25 second walk break. It started to sprinkle on me at 3.5 miles into my run, but at mile four I still took my 25 second walk break. By mile 5, I was in the middle of a downpour. I still took the 25 seond walk break. At mile 6, lightning and pouring rain convinced me to just run! My shoes were soaked, but I was making good time.

The sun peeked out for my final 1/4 mile. I finished at home in just under an hour. 59:48 for 7 miles. Not bad for my first longer run in 2 months.