Sunday, October 29, 2006

Back to Goofy

Today I was a bit sore from running that 15k race yesterday. My shoulder and stomach muscles were even sore. Interesting, but not usual. Guess I've gotten myself out of shape.

WELL, I'm back at it!

Did my super 7 mile loop twice this afternoon. It was a homecoming of sorts. I haven't run this route in a while. It was nice to see how the season has changed. The corn is golden and the leaves are falling.

My first loop I kept slow. I've read about "trying" to do the long runs much slower than marathon pace. My first mile was right at 9:00/mi pace. Oops, that's my current marathon pace. Too fast. Next four miles were at 9:25/mi. That's pretty consistant and a nice comfortable pace. As mile six unfolded I was tired. Was going to write about the wind or the uneven surface, but I was just tired. Since I was on a loop that passes back by my house, I started to think about stopping after 7 miles. Mile 6 & 7 were a 10:00/mi pace. I could justify stopping somehow.

As I came back by the house, I grabbed some water I had placed outside. Chanted Goofy, Goofy, Goofy, back down the driveway for another 7 mile loop!

At a slower pace and a shot of Cliffbar in me, I kept moving. I don't remember mile 8. Mile nine seemed like it should be mile 10. Mile 10 seemed like it should be mile 15. The brain works in wonderful ways. Mile 11 was photo shoot time so I started to feel alive again. Give it the peace sign for lap #2.

The 1/2 marathon distance passed at an unimpressive (for me) 2 hours and 11 minutes, but I remembered then that I was actually TRYING to run much slower than marathon pace! Oh, I had forgotten that this pain was really what I was after! ha!

Done in 2:17:17 for about a 10:00/mi pace overall. I won't remember how slow it was when I look at the miles. I'd rather run this slow than have only completed 7 miles. I'm back on the build up for Goofy!

The world famous iRun podcast.