Sunday, August 06, 2006

No Resting!

Two runs yesterday for 18 miles and now a 10-mile race this morning? Yep.

Race was scheduled for a 8 AM start along Lake Michigan. Very cloudy with thunder rumbling in the west. About 75 degrees. I'm not completely awake, but need to get registered and ready to run. There's an option for only 5 miles...hmmm. A daydream for a moment. Nope, I have 11 miles on my Goofy schedule so I can't do just 5. Bad enough I'm only racing 10 instead of 11!

Since my legs still feel connected and not too bad, I'm attempting a 9 min/mi pace. 10 miles in 90 minutes, that's the goal and a nice way to wrap up 28 miles in just over 24 hours.

My Treo 650 is on my desk at the office so I'm running without any photo ops. A few miles into the race, the sky opens. At least my phone isn't get soaked, but I sure am.

At 4.5 miles someone is breathing down my neck. HEAVY breathing and heavy running. Ah, he's only running 5 miles today. This is his push to the finish. We're running a loop. 1x for the five miles and 2x for the 10 miles. I'm feeling a since of eliteness for a moment as I don't enter the chute to finish at ONLY 5. The eliteness vanishes in the next breath as I hear high school girls chatting 10 yards behind me. They're also running 10, but certainly not having any difficulty. It's like they're out for a Sunday stroll. Which they are AND they of course pass me like I'm running backwards.

The rain continued. It's keeping the temp pretty nice. I'm keeping a 9 min/mi pace. I'm actually slightly below that. Cool!

I cross the finish line at 1 hour 28 minutes and 38 seconds.