Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Fartlek Five

I did a five mile fartlek this afternoon in 42:30. I'm still working to get the hang of this. I read tonight that I'm supposed to workout for a min of 45 mins when doing a speed play session.
  • Minimum of 45 minutes
  • Warm up – easy running for 5 to 10 minutes.
  • Steady, hard speed for 1.5-2 km ; like a long repetition.
  • Rapid walking for about 5 minutes – recovery.
  • Easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50 – 60 m, repeated until a little tired. – Start of speed work.
  • Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).
  • Full speed up hill for 175 – 200 m.
  • Immediately, fast pace for 1 minute.
  • The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

I did have one mile that was 7:12/mi pace while having another mile that was 9:15/mi pace. In 5 miles I did 7 speed ups and slow downs. I did get in one hill.

I'm going to keep working on it.