Saturday, September 15, 2007

Jet Lag 23

I ran zero miles Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday. I was planning to run, but I went from Chicago on a quick trip to Helsinki. I didn't run while I was there. I did walk 3-miles with two laptops one day, but I don't think that counts. I also walked what seemed like a mile at London Heathrow and again at Paris Charles de Gaulle, but still not the same as a running workout.

Note: lots of unfit people at airports!

With 3-weeks until the marathon, Bill planned a final LONG run for us. Bill, Mike, Chaz and me for a 23 miler. I was a bit concerned that my lack of running might really hamper me. Bill and I met at 5 AM at his house. It was still completely dark (night time with stars) and 39 F, 84% humidity. Chaz and Mike were starting an hour later since their faster runners.

I worn a winter hat, three shirts and gloves...and shorts, socks, shoes and water belt.

First 4 miles were in complete darkness. We ran a 9:10/mi pace. The next 6 miles were around a 9:25/mi pace. No specific reason for the slow down. We were talking. I thought it was faster, but we were just strolling alone.

Mile 11 was a 10:26/mi. We stopped for water.

Mile 12 & 13 were back to a 9:15/mi pace

Mile 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 were a 10:00/mi pace. This was all an uphill grade. We stopped for water once. I didn't realize at the time it was so slow. Heart rate was only 141 bpm so I wasn't working too hard. We were talking and not paying attention to the time.

I joked to Bill that we should mock "the wall" and pick up the pace. We both felt good. No wonder with a 10:00/mi! We picked it up. Mile 19 was 8:58/mi

Mile 20 was very hilly and 9:26/mi

Mile 21 was beyond hilly AND included a 40 ft stair climb up a look-out tower. A bit insane with total time of 12:41/mi for 230 FT vertical climb over that one mile. I snapped a picture with my Treo 650 from the top.

Back down the stairs and down a curving road we did mile 22 in 8:05. What a crazy way to finish a long run.

Oh not done yet, mile 23 had another nice big hill but we could taste chocolate milk waiting in the cooler. 9:09/mi pace. It really is a pretty good size hill.

Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s) 3:40:28 9:33 pace
Moving Time (h:m:s) 3:37:45 9:26 pace
Distance (mi ) 23.08
Moving Speed (mph) 6.4 avg. 10.0 max.
Elevation Gain (ft) +3,176 / -2,959

Avg. Heart Rate 143 bpm Zone 3.7

Temperature (°F) 38.8°F avg. 42.8°F high
Wind Speed ( mph) SSE 2.0 avg. SSE 4.6 max.

It was a good way to start a Saturday and a good final long run prior to the marathon!