Sunday, October 16, 2005

Country Roads

Paul, Jeff & I met at Larry's house for a Sunday morning long run.

We were out the door by 7 AM into the upper 30s temps. A gorgeous clear morning, but crisp. I had my head, ears, hands, upper and lower bod and feet covered. My hands were still cold as we strolled through the few couple of miles at a 9:30/mi pace along the road. Nice hills to start with Larry!

We fell into a 9:20/mi pace after a few more miles and then 9:15/mi. We summited a nice hill at 7 miles and turned around at 7.3 miles into our long run. By this time, it was Jeff & I with Larry running with Paul a bit further back.

Back down the hill Jeff and I picked up the pace. I was wearing my trusty Garmin Forerunner 201 so I could see we were going to run further than the 13 miles we'd planned. I felt good.

At around 10 miles into our run, I checked our "current" pace then told Jeff we were doing an 8:00/mi pace. He slowed down to 8:30/mi for a bit. He's like a rabbit and can't run like tortoise. I stayed with him even though his pace was quickening.

Set a new PR for the 1/2 marathon distance as we cruised past 13.1 miles in 1:57:01. Not bad considering the hills!

Jeff and I arrived back at Larry's house in 2:09:30 for 14.6 miles. We cooled down a bit. Had a drink and stretched then turned around to go find Larry and Paul. We found them within a 1/2 mile of the house so this was a nice 10 minute cool down jog for me.

Larry (and family) hosted us afterwards with bagels, smoothes and coffee. A great way to start a morning!

The iRun podcast of course live from the run.