Sunday, September 03, 2006

Kickin' In Week #9

After running a 20k (12.4 mile) race yesterday, I ran 15 miles this morning in the fog.

Most sane people would think it's unhealthy, dangerous or even insane for me to run this far after running 20k yesterday. It's common for people to make bold comments to me about how bad running is for my knees. The comments quickly turn inwards with them telling me how bad their knees are. I usually then ask, "Oh, you were a distance runner?" So far to date, not one single person that has commented to me about their knees was (or is) a runner. Go figure.

As part of my Goofy Plan, I had 15 miles on the schedule this morning. A nice cool (less than 60F) foggy morning. I was on the trail by 7:15 AM.

I was able to maintain a 9:10/mi pace for the first 7.1 miles even though I took a 40 second walk break every 5 1/2 minutes. I did this to help myself have a good workout without "over doing" it. I slowed down to a 9:40/mi pace coming back. Still doing the timed walk breaks. Amazingly I was faster today than last weekend even after running a race AND taking the timed walk breaks. I'm sure the cooler weather helped.

I tacked on 1 mile at the end of my run to get my 15 miles. Finished 15.2 miles in 2:23:01 which is about 9:25/mi overall.

The fog was so thick at times, my clothes were soaked as if I'd been running in the rain.