Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Domo Arigato

I love huge arena rock songs!

I'm stuck in that mode for life most likely. I came across the top 10 songs that killed arena rock. Even though I really like most of these songs, I couldn't help but laugh out loud about the #1 song. I remember listening to the radio in my apartment, in downtown Milwaukee, WAITING for the new Styx songs to be played. My jaw dropped as it played, I couldn't believe it was a Styx song. I didn't like it. I was mad at Dennis DeYoung. I got over it, bought the album, went to the concert and bought the VHS.


01. Mr. Roboto - STYX

"Dennis DeYoung proved he had been a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He masqueraded as a rock star throughout the 1970’s but with 'Mr. Roboto' DeYoung proved he wanted to be a Broadway star all along. This song single-handedly destroyed the original line up of the band. He forced his band mates to humiliate themselves by acting onstage. DeYoung was convinced that 'Mr. Roboto' would put him in the same light at Pete Townshend. Instead of seeing his dream reach the heights of classic rock operas like Tommy, 'Mr. Roboto' became the butt of a lifetime of jokes. DeYoung still defends 'Roboto'. He told this writer, ''Mr. Roboto' is now a vernacular of our culture. You can’t go anywhere without someone saying, Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto. I can’t even being to tell you how many television shows and movies that line has been in. From The Simpson’s to Howard Stern to King of Queens to Austin Powers to Adam Sandler’s Eight Crazy Nights to the Volkswagen commercial to Dodgeball, it is everywhere you look.' Hello? Dennis, time someone told you the truth…They are making fun of you!"